After long winter months it is refreshing to think about spring! You can smell it in the air even though it is not necessarily evident in nature yet. Spring is also a perfect time of year to start cleaning and invigorating your home. Likewise there is some spring cleaning you can do for your plumbing, the water heater in particular. By maintaining or repairing your water heater (if needed) now, you will be able to prevent potential water heater problems in advance and will be able to enjoy spring and summer months without worries!
The following are a few easy steps to maintain your water heater this upcoming spring and ensure that it lasts through the warm season.
- Set your water heater to a specific temperature. It should not be set higher than 120°F to help you save some money on energy costs as well as prevent you from scalding. Check the set temperature regularly to make sure that no one changed the settings (especially if you have teenagers in your family).
- Check to see if the pilot light is on in case if there is a gas water heater at your home. The pilot light should be lit and burn blue. As long as it is burning continuously, your gas water heater is fine.
- The most important step that needs to be taken when it comes to maintaining your water heater is draining your water heater tank each spring. The sediment builds up in its tank over time and this excessive deposit greatly impacts the efficiency of your water heater. Before emptying your water heater tank, check its manufacturer’s instructions concerning your specific model. It is critical to make time for draining the tank, because if you don’t do it on a regular basis, it might be too late and your water heater would be out-of-repair.
- Move all flammable objects away from the water heater to eliminate any fire hazard.
- You should be aware of the age of your water heater. You can tell its age by looking for the serial number on your unit. The first four numbers indicate the month and year of its production. Consider replacing your water heater, if it is over ten years old. Especially in places where hard water is pretty tough on water heaters. The contemporary water heaters are much improved in energy efficiency.
If you have more questions concerning the maintenance of your water heater in spring or in general, contact the plumbing professionals at Brea/Orange County Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning. We offer multiple options of plumbing and HVAC services and also deal with the water heater maintenance. Keeping your water heater in a great working condition is crucial for your home, since your water heater supplies hot water for your whole family, helping you save a significant amount of money, if maintained properly.