Calls for plumbing service to Brea/Orange County Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning generally increase on Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday. Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday are usually associated with lots of food, family members (some of them you haven’t seen for the whole year), football and shopping. If you don’t want your Thanksgiving to become associated with clogged drains and broken garbage disposal, you should be aware of some basic tips on how to properly handle your plumbing system during holidays.
When you prepare big meals for your guests this upcoming holiday season, beware of grease, leftovers and peels that go down the drain or garbage disposal and can clog/damage them.
At Brea/Orange County Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning we offer the following guidelines to prevent the plumbing problems at your home this Thanksgiving:
- Never wash cooking oils or fats down the sink drain. Oil and fat will harden after cooled off and block your drain system. Pour oil and fat into a container instead and then dispose of it in the right way.
- When you are not sure what to do with drippings and leftovers, use your trash can instead of your garbage disposal to get rid of them. Grease, bones and fibrous vegetables (like potatoes and pumpkin) can stop up your drain and disposal.
- Prior to using the garbage disposal, run the water from your kitchen sink for a few seconds and then run it again to flush the line after using the disposal.
- Think of a preventative maintenance plan. Your kitchen drain line and plumbing lines should be maintained by professional plumbers such as the plumbers from Brea/Orange County Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning, who will regularly check your plumbing system to prevent plumbing problems in the future.
- Bathrooms and toilets also become busy places during Thanksgiving with additional guests staying at your home. Wait for 15-20 minutes between showers and consider a tankless water heater installed to have hot water constantly.
- Hang a sign over your toilet warning people not to flush anything down the toilet drain besides natural waste and small amounts of toilet paper. In that way you wouldn’t have to worry about clogged and smelly toilets the next day.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving and shop on Black Friday without worrying about your plumbing system and remember that Brea/Orange County Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning is just one call away in case you will require help.